Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent Reflections from Fr. Guido Gandolfo, SSP

We can live the “Pauline” exercises in this time by subdividing the six weeks of the Advent-Christmas season into three successive phases. We can, then, commit ourselves to live it in the following way:

  • First and second weeks (Nov. 30 – Dec. 13): I will daily live the lectio and the meditatio, attentive especially to the contents of God’s Word for each day. I will let God’s Word, or whatever the Spirit suggests to my mind, take up residence within me, seeking to recall it often during the day.
  • Third and fourth weeks (Dec. 14 – 23): I will make an effort to pass from the word to the Word, from the contents to Jesus, Living Word. I will devote the first part of the Eucharistic Visit as oratio and contemplatio: I will turn to Jesus, the living word, rereading the evangelical message of the day in terms of adoration, praise, blessing, etc.
  • Fifth and sixth weeks (Dec. 28 – Jan. 11): Again during the first part of the Eucharistic Visit, after having asked the intercession of Mary to help me be totally open to the divine action, I will try to entrust my mind to Jesus, asking him to share with me in some way his own divine thoughts: “Now we have the thought of Christ” (1Cor2:16). I will present to Jesus a person or a fact for him to interpret for me, and wait no matter how long until he reaches my mind with an image or a biblical word that will be the gift of his illumination for my mind.

Blessed Alberione prayed like this:

“Jesus, may my faith be always more profound, that I may become a shining lamp that illumines all those who draw near me”.

Let us, too, make this prayer our own. Through the intercession of Saint Paul, let us daily renew our willingness to live the “yes” of our religious Profession as a prophetic witness for the good of all those who we encounter through our mission. I wish you all a joyful and transforming journey through Advent that will enable you to live the happiness of the Christmas Feast in all its fullness!
In profound communion,
Fr. Guido, SSP

No comments: