Monday, August 20, 2012

Evangelizing Symbols

In my ongoing discovery of what it means to be an evangelizer in New York I respect the mystery of symbols. When I prepare myself to pray in chapel I place an open Bible on the altar in the chapel here. The Word is opened as a sign that it is living and speaking to me today. A lit candle symbolizes my attentiveness to the Word as well as reminding me that Christ is the light of the world, I am the light of the world.At times I burn incense which symbolizes my prayer rising up to God as I am in God's presence. I need these symbols which are also real.  The Bible is real, the Word of God is real, the flame is real, the smoke is real. The other great reality in our chapel is the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. Here is what Blessed Alberioine wrote about Word, Eucharist and symbols in evangelization: "Jesus, in fact, taught people by making use of stories, parables and charming similitudes that he adapted to the type of audience listening to his word.…The Eucharist and the Bible harmonize well together; so do the evangelization /communication, the Eucharist and the Bible complete each other…. The Eucharist and the Bible form the apostle of communication. Let these two things be inseparable and unseparated in your hearts. We have to apply the Gospel to our times and give the Gospel to the present world with the means which progress presents to us as capable of transmitting the thought and the teachings of Jesus Christ. This involves living our own times and making the world aware of the reality of Jesus Christ."[original text here]. As a Pauline I remain in the presence of the open Bible and the Eucharist and this is how I begin to evangelize.

2 comments:

Rae said...

"I , Rae, appointed by God to be a disciple, together with my sister Marguerite and my fellow Pauline cooperators, send greetings to the church of God in Staten Island, to the holy people of Jesus Christ, who are called to take their place among all the saints."

Guess what Scripture I turned to after reading your words , Sr Margaret? :-)

I need symbols too but find I have to work hard and change them often to keep myself cognizant of Who and What they point to. I need an adoration chapel in my home.

Sr. Margaret Kerry, fsp said...

Hi Rae! An adoration chapel in your home - wouldn't that be great! I am blessed. You can have a prayer corner with the Scriptures open, a candle, icons of Jesus, Mary, Paul in a tryptich (3 in 1 icon) which I had hope to have made - I have the paintings ready to get put on three-fold wood - maybe Micheals has that?