Thursday, August 9, 2012

Manhattan I love you & give me that free countryside

On Wednesday I went with Sr. Mary Jerome to our Manhattan bookcenter on 38th Street between 5th and 6th. http://visit.pauline.org/newyork. After walking out of our home, we waited for the express bus ride which took us through the countryside of Staten Island. At least it seemed like countryside to me once I arrived in Manhattan. After a smooth ride on the ferry, allowing me time for mediation, we walked to the subway. Following Sr Jerome I realized that I didn't really mark the way. I just tried to keep up. On the train I took some directional notes down on my cell phone.  From the subway we walked to our book and media center to open the doors. I realized what great freedom it is to open the doors of a catholic bookcenter in New York City. I cherished the fact that anyone can walk in to browse, to pray, to converse, to ask questions, to find some direction for their life, family and community. I am presently reading two kindle books on freedom.  True Freedom: On Protecting Human Dignity and Religious Liberty by Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York and Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America by Archbishop Chaput, Archbishop of Philadelphia. A Native American of the Prairie Band Potawatomi tribe, Chaput's love for America is unquestioned. Both authors are using the new media (these books are .99 cent e-books) to share their passion for the Church, for freedom, and for America as the country that proclaims liberty for all. Opening the doors of our center in Manhattan is a daily response to our freedom and our desire to cherish and support the gift of life, liberty and justice for all humanity. As we took the ferry home a cool breeze blew through the open windows. I could see the Statue of Liberty front and center before the ferry turned toward Staten Island.  

1 comment:

Sr. Margaret J. Obrovac, FSP said...

May all of us who cherish that freedom be willing to sacrifice for it--living in such a way as to protect it and pass it on: keeping informed, choosing responsibly, and loving others' freedom as much as we love our own.
Thanks for the book recommendations, too.