Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Basking in Summer's Marian Month

 Ste. Anne de Beaupré in Quebec, Canada
August is a beautiful month for me partly because there are two Marian feast days celebrated. August 15 is the solemnity of the Assumption of Mary into heaven, and August 22 is the feast of the Queenship of Mary, who was crowned Queen of heaven and earth.
Another reason that August is a beautiful month for me is that I celebrate the anniversary of my entrance into the convent – August 1, 1981.  That day was the first Saturday of August so there is another special connection to Mary for me.  My name is Sr. Marie James and when people ask me which day is my Feast day, I tell them that I celebrate every Marian Feast Day and every feast of every St. James (including Blessed James Alberione of course!).  Mary has been a significant person in my life.  My mother consecrated me to Mary before I was born by making a special pilgrimage to the shrine of Ste. Anne de Beaupré in Quebec, Canada.  My baptismal name is Anne Marie and when it came time to choose a profession name, I knew that I would keep “Marie” in honor of our Blessed Mother.

As a young girl in grade school, I belonged to the Blue Army and made thousands of rosaries for the missions.  In high school, I started a Marian group among the students, and in the novitiate I made my formal consecration to Mary using the book “True Devotion” by St Louis de Montfort.  Last year, the Pauline Books and Media Center in Culver City hosted a “33 Days to Morning Glory” group which met weekly and followed the program designed by Fr. Michael Gaitley of the Marian Fathers of Mary Immaculate.  The program prepared the group for Consecration to Mary and I was able to attend and renew my consecration.

Cooperator Candidate Joanne Morrissey
In Culver City we have a new group of candidates in the Period of Inquiry for Pauline Cooperators.  Joanne Morrissey came to know us through the “33 Days to Morning Glory” Sessions last year.  When I see her at the meetings, I always think to myself that Mary sent her to become a Pauline.
Mary Durand is another new candidate and when I asked her about her relationship with the Blessed Mother, she said, “The Blessed Mother has been my friend and guide. She has been someone to lean on when I am troubled.  The Blessed Mother Mary has given me courage to face my problems. Blessed Mother Mary has given me strength when I haven't had any. I love her very much.”
Pauline Cooperator Regina Aaron

Regina Aaron made her Cooperator promise in November 2014, and her comments about the Blessed Mother are: “Mary has always been a role model and example of patience, compassion and unquestioning faith that I hope to emulate. It continues to be for me a work in progress”.

____________________________

Sr. Marie James Hunt entered the Daughters of St Paul community in 1981.  She is currently missioned in California where she is the manager of the Pauline Books and Media Centers in Culver City and San Diego.  Sr. Marie James is also the West Coast Coordinator of the Pauline Cooperators.

No comments: